Monday, April 27, 2015

Our Barn Project

   Let me start by saying , welcome to the blog . It is our hope that you will enjoy the barn . Linda and I have been working on this project for the last seven years .


   We started it in 2008 , when we were both 69 years old . The only help that we hired out , was for the site work , to fill and level the area . And also to pour the actual cement , to do the pad . I decided that 18 yards of cement , was more than I could handle by myself . Also I did not have the equipment to bring in the 13 loads of SB2 fill , required to level the site .
   All of the rest of the build , has been totally done by Lin and myself. The barn measures 24 ft. by 32 ft. and is approximately  22 ft. high . I would have liked to have built it larger , but because of the size of our land and the fact that the septic system would have had to be moved , we did it this size. Probably a good thing too , any bigger would have been tough for us . It is a post and beam style frame and consists of four eight foot bays . I did the plans myself , with the overall design based on a traditional Monitor Barn . The next logical size would have been to go to each bay being ten feet , and that would have made it forty feet by thirty feet . Nice size , but more than we could fit in . Also it would have made the footprint larger than our house , and we thought that would look odd.

   To see more on this build , please , click here for our web site .

   To see or join the Just Barns Forum , please , click here for the forum .


Sunday, April 26, 2015

View of the Interior

   Would like to show a couple of pictures of how the interior of our barn was done . The posts are Douglas Fir , as are most of the bookshelve grits . The diagonal walls are local grown , cedar. The interior is actually the first layer of the exterior . We then cover the first layer with a special black paper , and than add the vertical outside siding . Lin did all the interior walls with clear coat lacquer .



    The boards are just square cut , no matching or ship lapped . I select and match them for fit , most of the stuff from this local mill is very good . The boards that are not , totally straight , we use on the exterior . Once in a while if needed , I would plane an edge to get a better fit , if the board was extra nice . In both pictures you can see , tarps have been hung on the outside to keep the walls dry , while we constructed them . These two pictures are from July 2012 .

   To see more on this build , please , click here for our web site .

   To see or join the Just Barns Forum , please , click here for the forum .

   Thanks again for your interest .

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Addition

We have the exterior almost done , only some trim on the corners and the doors , left to do . However ,  we have decided to add a small addition to the rear of the barn . Two reasons for this , first is to add four feet to the center aisle , and the second , to add to the overall look of the rear wall . The barn is thirty two feet in depth , which makes it a little tight when parking two vehicles end to end . The extra four feet will allow the hood , or trunk to set in this addition . The following text and pictures will show where we are at this point in the build . (Spring 2015)

   We poured the cement pad for this , late in 2014 . Same type of monolithic pour as the main pad . Actually this whole , little addition , is like building the main barn all over again in miniature .

   Had to shim out the post , on each side to get the size right . Other wise when we get to the metal roof , the panels and the edge trim would not come out as planned . It took a lot of drawings to get this addition to fit .

   I prefit each piece . Lay them out , and cut some of them , right on the pad . You should be able to see the drawing marks on the cement . This will insure , that when we reinstall the pieces , with glue on them , that they are right on the money .

   Overkill ? Maybe . But it is just how I like to work . Plus we have the time to do it.

   Once all the lower sills have been fitted , and we are sure they are right , I will remove them , so that Lin can apply the solution of insect protection that we use .

   Lin has done all of the brush work on this project . She is shown here applying three liberal coats of the insect solution to the sill plates . All of our sills and all of the framing , two feet up from the ground level , have received this treatment .

   We hope you are enjoying the progress . Will add post on how we are doing , as the weather , allows us to get back to it.
   Thanks for following our barn .

   To see more on this build , please , click here for our web site .

   To see or join the Just Barns Forum , please , click here for the forum .