Monday, April 27, 2015

Our Barn Project

   Let me start by saying , welcome to the blog . It is our hope that you will enjoy the barn . Linda and I have been working on this project for the last seven years .


   We started it in 2008 , when we were both 69 years old . The only help that we hired out , was for the site work , to fill and level the area . And also to pour the actual cement , to do the pad . I decided that 18 yards of cement , was more than I could handle by myself . Also I did not have the equipment to bring in the 13 loads of SB2 fill , required to level the site .
   All of the rest of the build , has been totally done by Lin and myself. The barn measures 24 ft. by 32 ft. and is approximately  22 ft. high . I would have liked to have built it larger , but because of the size of our land and the fact that the septic system would have had to be moved , we did it this size. Probably a good thing too , any bigger would have been tough for us . It is a post and beam style frame and consists of four eight foot bays . I did the plans myself , with the overall design based on a traditional Monitor Barn . The next logical size would have been to go to each bay being ten feet , and that would have made it forty feet by thirty feet . Nice size , but more than we could fit in . Also it would have made the footprint larger than our house , and we thought that would look odd.

   To see more on this build , please , click here for our web site .

   To see or join the Just Barns Forum , please , click here for the forum .


No comments:

Post a Comment